The College of Environmental Design, also known as the Berkeley CED, or simply CED, is one of 14 schools and colleges at the University of California, Berkeley. The school is located in Wurster Hall on the southeast corner of the main UC Berkeley campus. It is composed of three departments:
In 1894, Bernard Maybeck was appointed instructor in drawing at the Civil Engineering College of the University of California. A school of architecture did not yet exist. The School of Architecture at Berkeley was developed by John Galen Howard in 1903 followed by the School of Landscape Architecture, established by John Gregg, which began instruction in 1913 and City Planning in 1948. In order to encourage an atmosphere of interdisciplinary study, the three schools, with the Department of Decorative Arts, were brought under one roof and the College of Environmental Design was founded in 1959 by, William Wurster, T.J Kent, Catherine Bauer, and Vernon DeMars. Originally, the school was located in North Gate Hall. Wurster Hall, the building which currently houses the college opened in 1964 and was designed by Joseph Esherick, Vernon DeMars, and Donald Olsen, members of the CED faculty.
- Woodbridge, Sally. “Reflections on the Founding: Wurster Hall and The College of Environmental Design.” Places Journal, 1(4), 1984. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5z11633z.