Advantages of Autonomous Building
Autonomous or off-grid buildings...
- Allow for development in areas that would otherwise seem unsuitable for it due to the plot's lack of infrastructure services and/or isolation.
- Can be planned to suit given desires or needs without the need to meet the requirements imposed by standard infrastructure services
- May have lower construction costs and lend themselves well to do-it-yourself builders
- Are likely to be energy and cost-efficient to run
- Can readily provide efficient use of natural resources and reduce environmental impact (e.g. by using available solar energy and rainwater)
- May be more secure as they do not rely on shared services that can fail (off-grid buildings, for example, would not lose power if the electrical grid were to go off-line for any reason)
- Do not tie the users/residents financially to utilities