Bills signed by the Oregon Governor in the 2017 Session
Note that a bill can become a law, with the agreement of the two houses of the legislature without the Governor’s signature. It is noteworthy, however, when a governor does not sign a bill endorsed by both chambers of the legislature.
The Oregon legislature convenes each year on the first day of February unless that date falls on Thursday-Sunday, in which place the start date becomes the next Monday.
HB=House Bill SB=Senate Bill
August 18, 2017
- HB 2017 Modifies and adds laws related to transportation.
August 16, 2017
- HB 3202 Provides procedures and requirements for establishing criteria for siting of Southwest Corridor MAX Light Rail Project.
- HB 2743 Directs Land Conservation and Development Commission to establish and implement pilot program to implement master plan for economic development on land adjacent to airport with approved airport master plan in rural area.
- HB 2750 Permits Port of Hood River to enter into agreement for bridge project that is partially or completely within port's district.
- SB 871 Authorizes establishment of programs by cities for demolition of residences or residential buildings.
- SB 1051 Requires city with population greater than 5,000 or county with population greater than 25,000 to review and decide on applications for certain housing developments containing affordable housing units within 100 days.
- SB 235 Defines "enclosed area" for purposes of Oregon Indoor Clean Air Act.
August 8, 2017
- HB 2912 Establishes Affordable Housing Land Acquisition Revolving Loan Program within Housing and Community Services Department to make loans to eligible organizations to purchase land for affordable housing development and to provide supportive services to residents and low income households.
- HB 2742 Increases household income limitation for receipt of financial assistance from Wildfire Damage Housing Relief Account.
- HB 2741 Appropriates moneys from General Fund to Housing and Community Services Department for deposit into Wildfire Damage Housing Relief Account.
- HB 2724 Directs Housing and Community Services Department to develop and implement Rent Guarantee Program to provide incentives and financial assistance to landlords that rent or lease to low income households by guaranteeing payments to landlords for unpaid rent and for eviction and property damage costs within certain limits.
- HB 3063 Requires Housing and Community Services Department, in collaboration with Oregon Health Authority, to disburse moneys in Housing for Mental Health Fund for development of community-based housing, crisis intervention services, rental subsidies and other housing-related services for individuals with mental illness and individuals with substance use disorders.
- HB 3459 Exempts from property taxation real and personal property, including inventory, of retail store owned by nonprofit corporation if retail store deals exclusively in donated inventory and operates with substantial support from volunteers and all net proceeds of retail store sales are donated to nonprofit corporation that provides animal rescue services, to manufacturer or provider of goods or services in return for which nonprofit corporation that provides animal rescue services receives equivalent
August 2, 2017
- HB 2377 Authorizes city or county to adopt ordinance or resolution granting exemption for newly rehabilitated or constructed multiunit rental housing.
- HB 2066 Extends sunset for tax credits for reservation enterprise zones, affordable housing lenders, rural medical providers and fish screening devices.
- July 19, 2017
- SB 5540 Appropriates moneys from General Fund to Department of Transportation for biennial expenses.
- HB 5045 Limits certain biennial expenditures from fees, moneys or other revenues, including Miscellaneous Receipts and certain federal funds, but excluding lottery funds and other federal funds, collected or received by Department of Transportation, Department of Environmental Quality and Department of Revenue.
- HB 5012 Appropriates moneys from General Fund to Housing and Community Services Department for biennial expenses and for debt service.
July 6, 2017
- HB 3453 Requires, for purposes of property tax exemption, certain lease agreements for taxable property entered into by institution, organization or public body whose property is tax exempt to include express term that any tax savings resulting from such exemption shall inure solely to benefit of lessee institution, organization or public body.
July 3, 2017
- HB 2402 Directs Oregon Health Authority to establish grant program through which individual who is homeless may obtain certified copy of individual's record of live birth at reduced cost or free of charge.
- HB 2407 Replaces authority of county assessor to issue deferred billing credit in cases of high-value property tax appeals with authority to issue potential refund credit.
- HB 2760 Extends sunset for property tax exemption for alternative energy systems.
June 29, 2017
- SB 311 Authorizes city or county to adopt ordinance or resolution providing property tax exemption to commercial, industrial and multifamily buildings built before January 1, 1993, that will be seismically retrofitted, for period not to exceed 15 years.
- SB 418 Requires Director of Department of Land Conservation and Development, at city's request, to approve or remand sequential phases of work tasks related to potential amendment of urban growth boundary.
- SB 5528 Appropriates moneys from General Fund to Land Use Board of Appeals for biennial expenses.
- SB 1022 Eliminates boards, commissions and other government entities that have ceased to meet or that are no longer serving public good.
June 27, 2017
- SB 936 Increases in increments taxable portion of value of eligible project property under strategic investment program for projects located in rural areas.
- SB 5544 Authorizes expenditures for obligations incurred by state agencies on or after July 1, 2017,
June 22, 2017
- HB 2745 Authorizes certain intergovernmental entities created to operate, maintain, repair and modernize nonrail transportation facilities to impose property taxes in support of those purposes, or issue general obligation bonds supported by property tax revenues, if entity obtains approval of governing bodies of affected cities and counties in entity territory.
- HB 2722 Prohibits enforcement of condominium irrigation requirements by association of unit owners following finding or declaration of existing or likely drought conditions or adoption of certain rules by association.
- HB 2573 Clarifies language relating to certain personal property not subject to ad valorem property taxation.
- HB 2162 Requires state contracting agency that awards public improvement contract with contract price of more than $5 million to require contractor to employ apprentices to perform 10 percent of work hours on public improvement that workers in apprenticeable occupations perform.
- HB 2088 Authorizes city within county with population greater than 700,000 to define "area" as city in which property is located, for purposes of certain ad valorem property taxation statutes.
- HB 2777 Authorizes mass transit districts to establish administrative process to adjudicate certain ordinance violations.
- HB 3268 Extends sunset on provisions directing Public Utility Commission to administer programs related to residential telecommunication services, including Oregon Lifeline program.
- HB 3245 Permits city to authorize planning commission or hearings officer to conduct hearings and make final decisions on applications for amendments to city comprehensive plan map.
- HB 2785 Exempts from requirements of removal-fill laws removal or filling, or both, originally intended or subsequently used for establishment, repair, restoration, resumption or replacement of certain uses on lands zoned for exclusive farm use, forest use or mixed farm and forest use that were established on or before January 1, 2017.
- SB 357 Modifies penalties for crime of interfering with public transportation.
- SB 149 Provides that property of limited liability company qualifies for property tax exemption or special assessment if limited liability company is wholly owned by nonprofit corporations or public bodies and property, if held directly by each nonprofit corporation owner of limited liability company, would qualify for such exemption or special assessment.
June 20, 2017
- HB 2730 Makes golf course on high-value farmland meeting certain criteria conditional use in area zoned for exclusive farm use.
- HB 2511 Authorizes residential tenant to install on premises and use electric vehicle charging station for personal, noncommercial use.
- HB 2510 Authorizes commercial tenant to install on premises and use electric vehicle charging station.
- HB 3012 Permits county to allow owner of lot or parcel of at least two acres zoned for rural residential uses to construct new single-family dwelling on lot or parcel if owner converts existing historic home to accessory dwelling unit.
June 14, 2017
- HB 2132 Expands purposes for which improvements may be made under local government financing program to include energy storage, smart electric vehicle charging stations and water efficiency.
- HB 2964 Extends ad valorem property tax exemption to existing qualified dwelling units of single-unit housing purchased by taxpayers seeking exemption.
- HB 3025 Excludes certain battery charger systems from definition of "battery charger system" for purposes of energy efficiency standards.
- HB 3125 Defines "autocycle." Provides that person may operate autocycle without motorcycle endorsement.
- HB 2111 Prohibits inclusion of provisions prohibiting installation and use of solar panels for obtaining solar access in declaration or bylaws of planned community.
- HB 2315 Provides that corporate excise tax credit allowed to lenders that finance affordable housing is not barred by receipt of housing vouchers by tenants.
- SB 277 Increases notice period for termination of rental agreement and removal of manufactured dwelling or floating home.
- SB 310 Authorizes city or county to designate area within jurisdiction as vertical housing development zone.
- SB 850 Requires Seismic Safety Policy Advisory Commission to establish committee to assist commission in conducting review of policy options, preparing summary of existing state agency reports and studies and preparing recommendations for policy measures regarding life and property protection following major earthquake or tsunami event, including but not limited to investigation of issues pertaining to insurance related to earthquakes and tsunami events.
- SB 838 Excludes persons who are not developers of timeshares from compliance with certain provisions governing timeshares.
- SB 821 Directs Oregon Housing Stability Council, with advice of Community Action Partnership of Oregon, to develop policy for awarding grants to organizations that shall use funds in Emergency Housing Account to align with federal strategies and resources available to prevent and end homelessness.
June 8, 2017
- HB 3171 Provides that additional taxes upon disqualification from certain special assessment programs may not be imposed on land if, at time of disqualification, such land is public property that was leased or rented to taxable owner and reason for disqualification is termination of lease under which land was assessed.
- HB 2944 Limits landlord assistance under Housing Choice Landlord Guarantee Program to damages awarded in judgment following hearing in which landlord proves amount of damages.
June 6, 2017
- HB 2333 Allows state agency that is unable to sell state real property or equitable interest in state real property, after following certain procedures for sale, to continuously offer real property or equitable interest for sale using any means state agency considers appropriate.
- HB 2095 Allows metropolitan service district to revise demonstration of sufficient buildable lands on single occasion under certain circumstances and to expand urban growth boundary if metropolitan service district concludes expansion is warranted.
- HB 2008 Updates amount landlord must pay tenant of manufactured dwelling park upon closure of park to convert to other use.
- HB 2624 Exempts out-of-state banks, extranational institutions and foreign associations from requirement to file notice before dealing in notes secured by mortgages or trust deeds, if authorized to conduct banking business in this state by certificate of Department of Consumer and Business Services.
- HB 3370 Defines "housing with services project" and requires project to register with Department of Human Services .
- HB 3313 Allows public charter school to give priority in admission to students who reside within attendance boundaries of nonchartered public school if specified conditions are met.
- HB 3175 Makes changes to definition of "low income households" in Local Innovation and Fast Track Housing Program.
- HB 3101 Prohibits hotels or inns from charging facility fees in addition to price of guest room rental unless facility fees are disclosed prior to guest room reservation or rental.
- SB 677 Establishes standards for establishment of cider businesses on land zoned for exclusive farm use or on land zoned for mixed farm and forest use.
May 31, 2017
- SB 38 Directs Oregon Transportation Commission to reallocate moneys for transportation projects under certain circumstances.
- SB 68 Changes fees related to real estate and escrow activities.
May 30, 2017
- SB 32 Provides for imposition of either penalty for failure to pay estate tax when due or penalty for initial failure to file estate tax return when due.
May 25, 2017
- HB 2463 Allows Department of Transportation and person, under certain circumstances, to enter into agreement that enables person to transact certain functions of department on behalf of department.
- HB 2140 Requires seller of real property to disclose seismic risk in seller's property disclosure statement.
- HB 2562 Requires lender that has contract with person for reverse mortgage to send person or escrow agent, title insurance company or other agent that pays property taxes on person's behalf notice that states that title to property that is subject to reverse mortgage remains with person and person is responsible for paying property taxes and related taxes on property.
- HB 3432 Makes permissive rather than mandatory provision that noncompliant survey map that is not corrected by surveyor and returned to county surveyor within 30 days be forwarded by county surveyor to State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying for action.
- HB 2855 Creates procedure for purchaser of real property to enforce contractual requirement for delivery of deed of conveyance without instituting suit or action.
- HB 2906 Establishes Oregon Geographic Information Council within office of State Chief Information Officer.
- HB 2986 Modifies provisions relating to administration of estates.
May 23, 2017
- HB 2748 Modifies sources of moneys deposited in Residential Solid Fuel Heating Air Quality Improvement Fund.
May 18, 2017
- HB 2316 Requires city with population of less than 25,000 to determine estimated housing need for 20-year period, inventory buildable land and adopt measures as part of periodic or legislative review of comprehensive plan.
- HB 3055 Modifies authority to use property line adjustment on certain units of land established by subdivision or partition authorized by waiver.
- HB 3056 Prevents extinguishment of lien upon entry of judgment in action to recover unpaid planned community or condominium assessment.
- HB 3059 Precludes right of recovery by transferor of special declarant rights to interest in condominium or planned community.
May 17, 2017
- HB 2400 Authorizes any state agency or department to enter into agreements with any political subdivision for collection, enforcement, administration and distribution of local transient lodging taxes of such political subdivision.
- HB 3180 Authorizes Department of Revenue and units of local government to disclose to each other information related to administration of transient lodging tax laws.
- HB 2901 Increases threshold, from $500,000 to $2 million, of real property value that requires port to obtain additional appraisal before purchase.
- HB 2623 Allows trustee of trust to make disbursements for trustee's compensation or compensation of person providing investment advisory or custodial services out of principal or income under certain circumstances.
May 15, 2017
- HB 2091 Authorizes Public Utility Commission to use universal service fund moneys to encourage broadband service availability and to provide support to telecommunications carriers that provide both basic telephone service and broadband service.
- HB 2279 Transfers to Department of Revenue sole authority for examining and registering property appraisers and setting education and experience requirements.
- HB 2292 Changes defined term "rail fixed guideway system" to "rail fixed guideway public transportation system." Directs Department of Transportation to take certain actions related to state safety oversight program of rail fixed guideway public transportation systems.
May 9, 2017
- HB 2277 Requires county governing body to apply property tax refund first as credit against amount due of total tax liability account on which tax was assessed, except in certain cases.
- HB 2280 Repeals disused statute granting right to any person assessed for property taxes to demand official certificate of assessment and fining assessor $100 for refusal in action before county justice of peace.
May 1, 2017
- HB 2281 Provides that disqualification of land designated as forestland shall be deemed to occur as of January 1 assessment date of assessment year in which discovery occurs, regardless of when discovery actually occurs.