NIMBY and YIMBY related terms
- AHIMBY: Affordable Housing In My Back Yard.
earliest use found:
Sharky Laguana @Sharkyl 6:19 PM - 10 Oct 2016
Replying to @mateosfo
"Is there such a thing as a MIMBY? Or AHIMBY?"
Also used by Berkeley city councilmember Kate Harrison on 5 Dec 2017.
- AHIMBY: Affordable Housing In My Back Yard.
- AIMBY: Already In My Back Yard: the position that a given land use is already concentrated in some area, and should be distributed to other areas. For example, a concentration of low-income housing or social services facilities. [contributed via Twitter from an activist in San Jose, California, opposing new Affordable Housing facilities in her neighborhood].
- BIMBY - Beer In My Backyard. 2019 event description from YIMBY Democrats of San Diego.
- EIMBY - Equity In My Backyard. suggested by Brandon Long @BLongStPaul, 14 Jun 2019.
- FIMBY - Factory-based [housing] In My Backyard. In support of factory-based housing. (from Tim McCormick, 14 Aug 2019).
- LIHIEDBY: Low Income Housing In Everyone’s Damn Back Yard) - Leigh Elion @leighelion, 26 Jan 2019.
- Mostly In My Backyard.
From Leslie Poston, April 30 2018, https://twitter.com/leslie/status/991018253450330112
- Maybe [In My Back Yard], If the design is good enough.
Jo Wolff @JoWolffBSG 12 May 2018.
- Mostly In My Backyard.
- NIABY: Not In Anyone's Back Yard: term to describe opposition to land-uses which should not be allowed anywhere - for example, unregulated industrial polluters. Note, this is meaning mainly expressed by 'NIMBY' in Jane Anne Morris, Not In My Back Yard: The Handbook (1994), pictured at right.
- NIMBY: a person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or potentially dangerous in their own neighborhood, such as a landfill or hazardous waste facility, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere.
- NIMPLE: Not In My Personal Life. A culture common among physicians, clinicians, LCSW, CADC and QMHP who work with houseless drug addicts. The characteristic of this school of thought is that they have professional opinions that maybe in the best interest for the health of their clients that may come at the expense of community safety. Not surprisingly, these people seek to have completely isolated professional and personal boundaries. People who subscribe to this school of thought don't want anything to do with ideas they pitch or clients they advocate for in their own personal life. People who work in other professions often embrace what they do professionally in their personal life. For example, Outdoor camp leaders and animal care takers generally love outdoor activities and animals in their personal lives. As an example, City of Portland OMF-HUCIRP program coordinator advocates for restrooms and safe drug injection sites(page 26), and refer clients to RV camp in Walmart parking lots.
- NIYBY: Not In Your Back Yard. Objecting to what others do in their back yards. Described in NY Times, 2000 article.
- NYIMBY: No YIMBYs In My Back Yard. from Jacob Kramer @jknotjk, Sep 1, 2019.
- OHIMBY: Only Homeowners In My Back Yard. (used to criticize or satirize anti-renter sentiment).
- PHIMBY: Public Housing In My Back Yard - term coined by DSA Los Angeles member Jed Parriott, expressing a position for public housing and against YIMBY movement. See Citylab on this.
- PIMBY: Please In My Back Yard. (@yimbwiki 13 Oct 2017: seems term arose in Kruibeke Polders proj, Flanders; perhaps from consultancy @Sigmaplan? via @RichardBlyth7).
- QIMBY - Quality in My Back Yard. See our article QIMBY for more on this.
- SHIMBY - Social Housing In My Back Yard. Charlotte Morphet @MorphetMinor 15 Apr 2018.
- SLIMBY - Something Lovely In My Back Yard. - apparently coined by Kit Malthouse, UK MP
- SWIMBY - Something Wonderful In My Back Yard. From Victoria Hills MRTPI @VictoriaRTPI Jul 5 2019.
- VIMBY - Vaporware In My Backyard. "A term for somebody who claims to support housing but only if impossible conditions are met. See also: PHIMBY (public housing in my backyard)." From @MarketUrbanism 13 Aug 2018.
- WIMBY - Wall Street In My Backyard.
- YAIMBY - Yes AND In My Backyard. "an improv-inspired third option called yaimby, yes AND in my backyard" - Bill Black, 22 July 2019.
- YEIMBY - Yes Efficiently In My Backyard. In support of factory-based housing. (from Tim McCormick, 14 Aug 2019).
- YIGBY - Yes In God's Back Yard - support for building on faith organizations' property. From Clairemont Lutheran Church, San Diego, 2019.
- Yimbertarian - Libertarian YIMBY; pejorative variant of YIMBY. A person identifying or identified as YIMBY who thing "if it's not purely market-based, it's suspect". From @gibsopi 7 Jun 2018.
- YIMBU / YIMBE - Yes In My Buildings that’s Underutilized / Empty.
Suggested by Tim McCormick, commenting on Commonweal Pod housing.
- Yes In My Back Yard (primary)
- Yes In Many Back Yards (original usage, 1988. See YIMBY_movement).
- YIMBYIABN - YIMBY In All But Name. "The key tenet of YIMBY-in-all-but-name (YIMBYIABN) is that YIMBYism will be more accepted if it has different marketing." Tommaso Sciortino @TommSciortino Aug 9 2019.
- YIMFY! - Yes In My Front Yard!
Used by group in Seattle's Roosevelt neighborhood, North Link Neighbors for 12th, in support of putting a light-rail line alignment in their area in 2011.
"YIMFY! Yes In My Front Yard - Light Rail Belongs in Roosevelt's Core. From April 28th 2014 rededication of Brenda the successful tunnel borer from the Capitol Hill leg, now working on the Roosevelt Station Link. Seattle's U District projects!"
See post about the situation at http://council.seattle.gov/2011/12/22/four-truths-about-the-roosevelt-rezone/.
Northlink Neighborhoods for 12th: https://web.archive.org/web/20050212143053/http://www.nln12.org:80/FAQ.html.
- YIMNDY -Yes In My Next Door. YIMBY operations conducted in (the often hostile terrain of) NextDoor online platform.
From: Tim McCormick @yimbywiki.
- YIOBY - Yes In Our Backyard. Apparently coined by Laura Loe Berstein (@YIMBYsea), Seattle.
- YIRBY - Yes in Rich People's Back Yards.
from Paul Musgrave @profmusgrave, 6 Nov 2018.
"Most important: support YIMBY if you can but always support YIRBY—Yes In Rich People’s Backyards. Oppose candidates and laws that restrict development in our most valuable parcels."
- YIYBY- Yes, In Your Back Yard. Pejorative variant of "YIMBY," suggesting that YIMBY advocates a) don't have yards of their own, and/or b) are really talking about building in other people's back yards.
Seen in letter to the editor of East Bay Times by George Doddington, of Walnut Creek, NOV 17 2016. https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/11/17/letter-yimbyers-actually-have-no-backyards/.
In other words, trying to impose projects you do not want in your own backyard into somewhere that affects other people without affecting your personal comfort. https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/02/an-urban-plan-nearly-everyone-can-love-yes-in-your-backyard/ "Under this plan, his neighborhood will be untouched, while others will get exactly the kind of development he says he doesn’t want near him."
Another example is that of a City of Portland's HUCIRP coordinator Katherine Lindsay who works with homeless professionally, but that becomes "dealing with transients" when they're camping in her own neighborhood and, complained to the city council of her suburban city urging them block the development of a 24 hour Walmart citing transient activity concerns.
- YIYNB - Yes In YOUR NeighBorhood. Similar meaning to YIYBY. Suggested by YIMBYwiki, 14 Sept 2019.
- YUPIMBY -Yuppies In My Backyard.
Yimby.Go @YimbyGo 9:07 PM - 21 Jun 2017
"Yuppies In My Back Yard"
Richard Hall @rihallix 4:39 PM - 20 Jan 2018
Replying to @SaveMarinwood @YIMBYwiki and 4 others
"#sb827 is going to create primarily Seattle like luxury apartments with rents 40% above the norm. YIMBY is changing their name to the more accurate "Yuppies in My Backyard"."
YIMBYwiki @YIMBYwiki 4:44 PM - 20 Jan 2018
Replying to @rihallix @SaveMarinwood and 4 others
YIMBYwiki Retweeted YIMBYwiki
#BeckyOMalley in Berkeley is on that angle already https://twitter.com/yimbywiki/status/881293237310210048 … #knowyourmeme #YupIMBY
"we used to call them Yuppies, but now they call themselves YIMBYs": iconic Berkeley anti-houser, #BeckyOMalley
More from [Stephens 2005]:
- BANYs Builders Against NIMBYs [Not In My Backyard Activists] [
- GOAH Gedoudaheah
- GOOMBA Get out of my business area
- GUMBY Gaze upon my backyard [Opponents of residential walls and fences]
- KIIMBY Keep it in my backyard
- NIMD Not in my district
- NIMEY Not in my election year
- NIMFOS Not in my field of sight
- NIMFYE Not in my front yard either
- NIMTOO Not in my term of office
- NITL Not in this lifetime
- NOPE Not on planet earth
- NORF No observable redeeming features
- NOT None of that
- NOTE Not over there either
- NUMBY Not under my backyard
- PIITBY Put it in their backyard
- QUIMBY Quit urbanizing in my backyard
- WIIFM What’s in it for me?
- Morris. Jane Anne. Not In My Back Yard: The Handbook. 1994).
- Stephens, Ric (2005). "From NIMBYs To DUDEs: The Wacky World Of Plannerese." Planetizen, 26 July 2005. https://www.planetizen.com/node/152.
- Stephens, Richard (2005b). Plannerese Dictionary. Trafford On Demand, 2005. https://www.amazon.com/Plannerese-Dictionary-Richard-Stephens/dp/1412047943/.
- Testimony of Katherine Kalpakis (Katherine Lindsay) at Sherwood City councilhttps://web.archive.org/web/20170131134712/https://www.sherwoodoregon.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/city_council/meeting/1330/06.12.13_city_council_minutes.pdf