African architecture and built environment
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Bourdier, Jean-Paul, and Trinh Minh-ha. Drawn from African Dwelling (1996).
- On Internet Archive - borrowable for 1hr at a time: https://archive.org/details/drawnfromafrican0000bour.
- Denyer. African Traditional Architecture (1978).
- Elleh, Nnamdi. African Architecture: Evolution and Transformation (McGraw Hill,1997).
- so far the broadest, most extensively researched, best illustrated survey, a landmark work.
- unfortunately, not very available - $85 used online, no previews on Amazon or Google Books.
- Elleh is Associate Professor of Architecture, History and Theory at the University of Cincinnati. He was trained as an architect and received his PhD in art history from Northwestern University.
- Gardi, René. Indigenous African Architecture (1973).
- On Internet Archive - borrowable for 1hr at a time: https://archive.org/details/indigenousafrica0000gard/.
- Garlake, Peter. Early Art and Architecture of Africa (Oxford University Press, 2002).
- Full edition on ISSUU (online reading only): https://issuu.com/cleaningsrvices42/docs/0192842617-early-art-and-architecture-of-africa-by-peter-garlake.
- On Internet Archive - borrowable for 1hr at a time: https://archive.org/details/earlyartarchitec00garl.
- Kulterman, Udo Kultermann. (1969). New Directions in African Architecture. London: Studio Vista, 1969. ISBN 289-79674-1.